Thursday, March 15, 2018

Entry 3: Personal Favorite - Rainbow Roasted Vegetables

Saturday night is my night to make dinner, and I decided to make a colorful, healthy dish. I love meals that give me energy or a second wind rather than put me out for a nap like a sleepy Mabari after a hunt. And this dish did just that. I'm a night owl by trade so a dinner that peps me up rather than knocks me out is essential (especially on my weekends when I want to play some Dragon Age and have some fun).

So here is another Personal Favorite: Rainbow Roasted Vegetables!

I initially found this recipe on Pinterest from Simple Vegan Blog during the last age and have always wanted to give it a try. It is simple, quick, and delicious! See below for my full recipe and the original in the sources section.

So to put a Dragon Age twist to this dish, I imagine this as an Orleasian recipe (big surprise, right? But stay with me.) with a unique cooking method: as a cooking performance or a part of a dinner theater show. Orlais is known for its over-the-top theater and decorative food. Why not combine the two? Think of it: synchronized, rhythmic chopping, fanciful handiwork assembling and dancing the dish over a fire. And while it cooks, the performers juggle knives and cutting boards as they trade fashion jabs with the audience. If anything, this sounds like an excellent opening act for Zither.


As always, I began by assembling my main ingredients on the counter. The recipe calls for red bell peppers and I did not have any so I used small sweet red peppers, which I thought worked well with the other vegetable flavors.




I find chopping vegetables really satisfying. Clockwise: Zucchini, sweet red pepper, yellow bell pepper, and carrot.


Red onion! Which is the purple in our rainbow. I actually sent my partner to the grocery store down the block to pick up a "purple" onion and he was really confused when he could not find it at first. (Why I did not ask him to pick up a red bell pepper too I am still trying to figure out.)




Clockwise again: Zucchini and yellow bell pepper, sweet red peppers, carrots, and broccoli.


I chopped the sweet red peppers a bit too small and I will probably stop myself from doing that again in the future.


Next, I tossed each vegetable type in a bowl with a sprinkle of Balsamic vinegar. I used just enough to lightly cover my vegetables. Then I arranged them all into a lovely rainbow on a baking sheet with aluminum foil.




Taking advantage of the excellent afternoon sunlight in my kitchen here for a nice close up.




After seasoning with thyme, sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper, I set the baking sheet into the oven and baked my vegetables for about 22 minutes.



And here we have a lovely roasted spread of deliciousness!




Another close up (by this time I was working with evening light).




You can store and save this dish for up to 4 days in your refrigerator or enjoy it fresh. You can eat this on it's own, or pair with potatoes or flatbread. Or you can prepare it as side dish to share if you are eating with family and friends. And let's be honest, eating is always better with family and friends. I hope you give this easy recipe a try! Chop, chop!


Rainbow Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients:
1 C Broccoli florets
2 C Carrots
3/4 C Sweet red repper
1 C Red onions
1 tbsp Thyme, dried
1/3 C Yellow bell peppers
1 2/3 C Zucchini
Balsamic vinegar to taste
(Optional: salt and black pepper to taste)

Directions:
Set oven to 400℉.
Dice vegetables and toss with Balsamic vinegar.
Arrange on a baking sheet and add thyme (and salt and black pepper).
Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!


Like what you are reading? Great! There's more to come in the next few weeks. Please follow and share widely!

Have any friendly suggestions or cool ideas? Please feel free to comment below. You can also email me at foodsofthedas@gmail.com, message me at AGSamuels on Reddit, or tweet me at Essem_Jay on Twitter.
You can also follow me on Instagram at gourmetveganthedas.

Walk always in the Maker's light.

__

Sources:

Simple Vegan Blog: https://simpleveganblog.com/
Simple Vegan Blog, Oil Free Rainbow Roasted Vegetables: https://simpleveganblog.com/oil-free-rainbow-roasted-vegetables/
Oil Free Rainbow Raosted Veggies: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/533184043379185105/
__

No comments:

Post a Comment